I have to admit, I'm no gardener. My mom always had tons of vegetables and flowers and fruit trees while I was growing up, and I always hated standing out in the heat with the hose watering her acre and a half of plants.
But this year I wanted to do something different. Brad has always been in charge of the landscape. I keep the house clean. I've always maintained that as long as the yard is decent looking, I don't give a crap what kind of bushes or trees he buys.
So I decided to try some container plants. Maybe, if it all works out - and if I don't hate it - I'll try for some flower beds next year.
Anyway, I bought a couple of packets of sunflower seeds...just cause they looked pretty on the cover. There were lots of seeds in the packets. The kids LOVE watering the plants.
In fact, the plants are drowning in water after they're done. I don't know if this is bad or not. Oh well, it's fun for them at any rate.
Noah thinks it's vital to water, not only the potted plants, but also the walk-way, the grass, the trees, the driveway, the street, and his shoes. He's very thorough, my little gardener.
Alas, I don't know if my sunflowers stand a chance, what with all the water and the fact that Jackson will NOT stop ripping the leaves. He walks around muttering, "I have to pull the leaves off."
Along the back fence at the end of the driveway (the sunniest spot in my very shady, tree-covered yard) are my tomato plants. I know nothing about growing tomato plants, but I do love eating them, so I thought I'd give it a try. I did some reading on the internet, and I water these myself and generally try to take care of them.
I've got 4 pots with 2 plants in each...8 in all. Three varieties, Roma, Sweet 100, and Patio. Jackson helpfully found some large sticks to plant, and they make decent stakes. I suppose, though, that I should go buy some real ones. A couple of the plants are getting pretty tall.
So far I've found two small tomatoes. I hope they grow. I do love tomatoes. And it took like a dozen tries before I got a shot of this little sucker that wasn't all fuzzy and washed out. What's that all about?
How long does it take for tomatoes to grow and ripen, anyway? I can hardly wait!
But this year I wanted to do something different. Brad has always been in charge of the landscape. I keep the house clean. I've always maintained that as long as the yard is decent looking, I don't give a crap what kind of bushes or trees he buys.
So I decided to try some container plants. Maybe, if it all works out - and if I don't hate it - I'll try for some flower beds next year.
Anyway, I bought a couple of packets of sunflower seeds...just cause they looked pretty on the cover. There were lots of seeds in the packets. The kids LOVE watering the plants.
In fact, the plants are drowning in water after they're done. I don't know if this is bad or not. Oh well, it's fun for them at any rate.
Noah thinks it's vital to water, not only the potted plants, but also the walk-way, the grass, the trees, the driveway, the street, and his shoes. He's very thorough, my little gardener.
Alas, I don't know if my sunflowers stand a chance, what with all the water and the fact that Jackson will NOT stop ripping the leaves. He walks around muttering, "I have to pull the leaves off."
Along the back fence at the end of the driveway (the sunniest spot in my very shady, tree-covered yard) are my tomato plants. I know nothing about growing tomato plants, but I do love eating them, so I thought I'd give it a try. I did some reading on the internet, and I water these myself and generally try to take care of them. I've got 4 pots with 2 plants in each...8 in all. Three varieties, Roma, Sweet 100, and Patio. Jackson helpfully found some large sticks to plant, and they make decent stakes. I suppose, though, that I should go buy some real ones. A couple of the plants are getting pretty tall.
So far I've found two small tomatoes. I hope they grow. I do love tomatoes. And it took like a dozen tries before I got a shot of this little sucker that wasn't all fuzzy and washed out. What's that all about?
How long does it take for tomatoes to grow and ripen, anyway? I can hardly wait!
1 comment:
Good luck with the potted plants. I'm the worst with those, but then again, I could probably kill a cactus. ~jen~
Post a Comment